I told you I would be back with another healthy, delicious and chocolate filled meal idea!
Probably my most favorite on-the-go meal is a cool and refreshing smoothie! The best part is they are super healthy and of course diabetic friendly!
I drink a smoothie in the morning or at lunch because it’s an easy way to get a healthy dose of the daily nutrients I need to last throughout my day (especially days when I teach multiple fitness class and go to work). Other people drink smoothies to help them achieve a particular health goal, such as losing weight or better managing their blood sugar. Smoothies can be used as a meal replacement, as a supplement to a meal, or as a snack. They provide vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, fiber and protein.
Whether you like fresh fruit, veggies, peanut or chocolate, there are endless combinations of ingredients so you will never get bored. It is SUPER important to remember that depending on the recipe you use and how much you drink, smoothies can be high in both calories and carbohydrate…2 things we all have to be careful of, but even more if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. Choose your ingredients carefully and don’t drink too much!
Check out one of my favorite smoothie recipes…with that added chocolate fix … YUM!
Low carb chocolate nut butter smoothie
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (although sometimes I use vanilla almond milk for the extra sweetness)
- 1 ½ cups of ice (add more ice if you prefer a thicker consistency)
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened natural peanut butter (swap peanut butter for any nut butter of your choice – I like almond butter best)
- 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 scoop of vanilla flavored protein powder (there are so many kinds – whey, soy, egg white, casein – check with a doctor if you aren’t sure which one to use)
- ¼ tsp. vanilla extract (even sweeter now)
- 2 (1 gram) packets of stevia (this is optional, I don’t use it when I use vanilla almond milk)
Pour the almond milk into a blender, add ice, nut butter, cocoa powder, protein powder, vanilla extract, & stevia. Blend until your smoothie is the right consistency. Pour into a glass and enjoy! #MoveYourMtn