It’s getting close to “that time” of year again! School will be starting back soon…and many parents around the world will be rejoicing in a collective cheer! Then, the dreaded fundraising will begin. You’ll be asked to buy coupon books, candy bars, and magazines…all of which you don’t particularly need, but you do because you want to support your school. That’s where crowdfunding comes in. You know that crowdfunding is a great resource for raising money for start up businesses and non-profits, but did you know that crowdfunding is an excellent way for PTAs and PTOs across the nation to raise money for their schools? The Crowdfunding Industry itself, raised OVER 5 BILLION dollars in 2013, why wouldn’t you want a piece of that pie? Starting a fundraising campaign is FREE and easy…Here’s how:
The first step is to create a campaign on MoveYourMountain.org. Things to remember when starting your campaign:
- Name your campaign. Clever, cute, to the point…it doesn’t matter. But, it needs to tell who the funds will benefit and how.
- What’s your goal? How much money do you want to raise? You can break up your efforts into multiple campaigns for different areas that need to be funded, you can start multiple campaigns where you accept one time donations from donors.
- Tell your story. You’ve set a goal, now tell everyone WHY they should donate to your PTO and what the group plans to do with the money.
- Add pictures and video. If you’re raising money for new playground equipment, show us pictures of the old equipment. If you’re raising money for new computers, show us a video of how slow the current ones are and the struggles the students have when using them. Pictures and videos are worth a thousand words…so, use them.
Now that you have a campaign started, it’s named, a monetary goal is set, and the description is written up with pictures attached…Now what?
Marketing your campaign.
- If your school has a website, put it on there.
- If your school has a Twitter or Facebook page, post it.
- Ask the school office if they would email the campaign to all students’ parents.
- Create fliers or handouts to give each child at school, explaining to parents what this campaign is and how they can donate. ALSO, ask them to share the info on THEIR social media channels.
- Update your campaign page as often as you can. With using Move Your Mountain, we will email your donors every time you post updates. This will help keep your donors vested in your campaign and it’s a public way to also thank that week’s donors. (Campaigns that update at least THREE times during a fundraising campaign will raise 239% more funds than campaigns that don’t post updates). You want everyone to know how much money is being raised and if you’ve used some already, what it’s gone for.
Now…I personally do LOVE buying those candy bars that the schools sell. But, that doesn’t have to be the ONLY fundraising tool that the school utilizes. Starting and maintaining a crowdfunding campaign is far easier and will receive a higher return.
Some schools like the “competition” of fundraising, with the highest classes getting a prize or pizza party. If that’s your school, then you can also do that with using Move Your Mountain!
Crowdfunding is here to stay. It’s a revolutionary way to use the internet and social media for good and to help important causes. Having PTAs use these tools available will change the way they do fundraising, the impact that they have on the schools, and the reach they are able to expand to. What are you waiting for? What does YOUR school need to raise money for this year?