#FundraisingFriday is about featuring a fundraising campaign that is hosted here on Move Your Mountain. We will be highlighting their fundraising efforts and if you feel so inclined, please do share their campaign with your friends. (Because, we think they’re already pretty awesome, that’s why we’re sharing it with you!).
Mayan Treasure is a non-profit organization started by Jen Kelly and her family. When they visited #Guatemala, Jen was inspired to help the women in that area who are struggling with extreme poverty. She didn’t just want to give them money, she wanted to EMPOWER them. She decided to form Mayan Treasure and and teach these women how to make jewelry that she would in-turn sell in the states. The money made from the sale of the jewelry, goes into the bank accounts of these women.
In the spring of 2013 I started Mayan Treasure. I have worked closely with my group of 25 Mayan Treasure women, several who are single moms, or in abusive marriages, helping them learn the art of jewelry-making. We have set up Mayan Treasure as a non-profit organization so that 40% of sales go directly to the women’s bank accounts in Guatemala, and the other 60% goes into the Mayan Treasure account (I don’t make a dime). That money is used to purchase more jewelry supplies, and to cover other expenses such as setting up booths at conventions where I sell their jewelry.
Not only does Mayan Treasure provide a skill for these women and an outlet to sell their product, buy they have also started to employ local women to help teach the other women about budgeting their money and how to save money for their future.
Strings and Beads really can make a difference in the lives of women and children struggling in Guatemala.
We love the inspiration behind this campaign, and that these struggling families will have the extra income they need to feed their family, improve their living situations, and have better opportunities in the future. #MoveYourMtn